Useful information

In this section, you can find complementary information on work permits, legislation and funding opportunities that can help you to develop your activities to support refugees.

Rights and duties of refugees

Refugees have the same rights as Hungarian citizens, with some statutory restrictions. They have access to health care services and, as long as they remain in a reception centre, the costs for their children's participation in the public education system are covered. Depending on their financial and income situation determined by Act III of 1993 on Social Administration and Social Welfare Benefits, refugees can be eligible to receive financial aid and support.

Asylum seekers are also entitled to social benefits. When staying in a reception facility, and depending on their individual circumstances, asylum seekers are provided with the services and goods to fulfill their basic needs. This includes free of charge healthcare, travel allowance for specific cases, and the reimbursement of the cost of education of their children.

Refugees have the same employment rights as Hungarian citizens. They do not require a permit or authorization to work.

For asylum seekers, there are restrictions to access the labour market. While residing in a reception centre, asylum seekers can work within the facility without any permit being required. After a nine-month period as asylum seeker, it is possible to work outside of the centres, in accordance with the law applicable to third-country nationals. Asylum seekers can only apply to positions that are not available for Hungarian and European Economic Area nationals. This means that the employer has to request a one-year renewable work permit from the local employment office.

A third-country national can apply for a residence permit for the purpose of employment from a Hungarian consulate abroad, or any other authorized authority. The applicant will have to prove the work relationship with the employer (an employment contract, for instance). Prior to that, the company must apply for a work permit on behalf of the employee, after advertising the position at the Hungarian Labour Office for 15 days.

For further information, please click here to consult the Office of Immigration and Asylum website.


There are legal regulations on adult education and higher education allowing the use of certain validation techniques.

In the 2007 Act for Higher Education, the recognition of informal learning is linked to the European Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS). Its Article 11 states that ’The Credit Transfer Committee shall be authorized to recognise prior learning outcomes and work experience as the performance of academic requirements’.

In 2012, the Act CXXIII further specified this rule stipulating that two thirds of the credits can be earned by validation of informal learning or experiences, and at least one third of the credits required for the student to obtain the degree (diploma) shall be obtained in the home institution.

The assessment and recognition of adult prior learning have been allowed since 2001. The Adult Education Act of 2013 made the assessment of prior learning mandatory for vocational education and language training only. However, if this rule works well for self-financed or no-subsidy programmes, its application for state subsidised programmes remains difficult.

Funding opportunities

For more information on funding opportunities and project calls in Hungary and in Europe, please click here.

Feedback Form

To help us improve the website, please take a minute to fill out the survey

IOM uses cookies, by using this website you consent to the use of cookies. Close